Welcome!

Welcome to my blog, we're talking about quilting and other good stuff. I'm glad you stopped by ... look around, add a comment, become a follower if you feel inclined, tell your friends about me, and come back soon!


Friday, January 7, 2011

Decisions, decisions

Three things to be happy about:
(1) clocks with pendulums
(2) reorganizing the junk drawer
(3) aging gracefully

A few days ago I was brave enough to show my first quilt... and now I think I was brave to even call it a quilt!

Ronda, I can identify with the calico you used in your first quilt, I thought that's what you "had" to use!  A staff member at G Street Fabrics helped me pull fabrics together for my first quilt.  In this picture you can see the back is a riot of RED!  I really hate to toss out anything, I feel even semi-abandoned projects have some merit.  My dilemma... do I want to use some down time to pick loose my "quilting", add a decent border and properly finish this thing?  Or shall I bind it as is and donate it?  Or shall I let it languish in ufo-land?  I'll give it some thought.

Julie, it's interesting you mentioned using thinsulate, I always thought it was only for garments but I have a friend who says she likes to put it in quilts because it's light and warm.  I like a nice flat batt for wall hangings, they hang so much nicer; thinsulate would probably be great for show quilts!

3 comments:

  1. I keep meaning to take photos of a quilt I call "My Mistake." I started with a (I thought at the time) really great idea, and hand quilted it densely.

    After quilting for a very long time and it was about 1/4 done, I really looked it over, and realized it was not going to look like what I had planned, so I took it to the sewing machine, did a really awful job of machine quilting it, and it was done in 2 hours. I bound it, and it's the most reached for quilt in our home.

    I still admire my own hand quilting stitches in it, and gloss over the horrid machine quilting in it... it's a functional quilt and we all love it.

    I think just finishing the thing without guilt was the right answer for me, and freed me up to hand quilt something else. But it was big enough to keep a body warm. I've abandoned lots of wall quilts and mini quilts, and I don't feel guilty about those.

    That said, I think your first quilt is lovely, and even if the fabrics are not to your taste now, they are a yardstick to show where you started and where you are now. And that's worth something.

    ~ Ronda

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ripping out stitches seems like a lot of work. Do it if your really attached to the quilt other wise someone who is down and needing a bit of love would love to receive it. Isn't it fun to look back and see how far we have come?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Back around 1994 I read a little book, How NOT to Make A PRIZE-WINNING QUILT by Ami Simms. If you haven't read it, you should. It was so funny and will put everything you do into perspective.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for your comment, I like getting feedback! I can't promise to respond by email, but I do appreciate your visit.