Welcome!

Welcome to my blog, we're talking about quilting and other good stuff. I'm glad you stopped by ... look around, add a comment, become a follower if you feel inclined, tell your friends about me, and come back soon!


Monday, December 5, 2011

Slow and steady wins the race

Well, Part 3 of the Quiltville Orca Bay mystery came out Friday and I've been a busy beaver!  We're to make 350 half-square triangles, and this time I'm using the Easy Angle ruler as Bonnie suggested.  I avoided using the Companion Angle in the first step because my seams were off and I just "couldn't" get the finished pieces the right size.  But Bonnie pointed out that if you have to sew-large-and-cut-down to get the correct size, you'll run into problems somewhere down the line - if your seams are off making the units, they'll probably be off when you go to join them together.
It took me a few minutes of sewing and measuring and adjusting to get that accurate quarter-inch seam, but I'm glad I did because I think it's worth it!  It really is easy once you get the hang of it, and faster to boot.  I discovered that for me the seam stays more accurate if I sew with the pointy end first, and I go a bit slower.

With this handy ruler I cut and sewed 175 HST's in no time!  Out of that number I only had 10 rejects, blocks that were off just a smidge on one side or corner.  I just want to make sure  :o)  I still have a bunch I've cut but haven't sewn yet.



Of course, I couldn't resist going out and looking for more black and neutral fabrics.  I'm not really into Halloween and don't usually buy the fabric, but I got 2 yards (the minumum cut) of this piece at the Hancock's near me that's closing...

isn't it cute?

I've ended up with a nice variety of neutrals and blacks, enough for all the HST's in this step.  Whatever is not used in this mystery will, of course, be added to my 2" strip basket.  


I like looking at all the patterns I have to work with - roosters, puppies, flowers, keys, Santa's, olives paired with Christmas trees, Jan Mullin moons with holly leaves  ...


Happy little blocks for a scrap-happy quilt!  If it weren't for this mystery I don't know if I would have combined these fabrics with each other; for the neutral I'd probably have used something that read as a solid.  I'm finally understanding what Bonnie means by "neutral" fabrics!

I'll keep you updated on my progress but be sure and visit the Mystery Monday Link Up page to see other Orca Bay Mystery progress! 

Sew forth and sew on

16 comments:

  1. However it works out, you will have something to use in every season!

    ReplyDelete
  2. those look nice, I just came home from a week vacation so I have to catch up on clue 2 AND 3.... plus today I'm supposed to get some customer quilts to long arm, so I don't know when I'll get to these.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's funny how we are all different. I used the Easy Angle ruler method too, but for me it was easier to start sewing the fat end. I also love the prints, and I have some Halloween fabric too, candy corn in my oranges. Love your HSTs.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What fun!!! I'm loving the fabrics you have used. You have a good sense of fun.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with you -- using the pointy end made the sewing a lot easier.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love your olive fabric....they are all so fun.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love your fabrics!! What a great splash of color they have.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like the fabrics you have chosen and agree that the Easy Angle makes it nice to make the blocks!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your fabrics are so fun! I used the easy angle for the first time and liked it too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I haven't mastered that ruler yet! Way to go on your progress, fun little blocks.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love your variety of fabrics. It certainly will make for a more interesting quilt. I can imagine snuggling up under it on a chilly evening playing I spy. Glad you found your quarter inch, mine keeps coming and going.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Cool fabrics, I like how the Santas are peeping out out your blocks!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love your fabrics. Your quilt will be awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love your novelty fabrics...how fun!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great little blocks and what a great ruler!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for your comment, I like getting feedback! I can't promise to respond by email, but I do appreciate your visit.