Red strings in the sunsetI think I've discovered the name of my quilt - Red Strings in the Sunset
Way out on the sea (ooh-wee-ooh, wee-ooh)
Oh carry my loved one
Home safely to meeee
For this part we're to make 64, 5-1/2" string blocks, to yield 128 triangles.
They had me seeing red, I tell ya!
It also made me chuckle because a new yellow pages came on Thursday! I like using that paper, it's so thin, just as good as anything you'd buy for foundation piecing. But shhhhh! Don't tell the telephone people, else they'll change the name to something like "quilter's foundation booklets" and start charging us for em!
Bonnie's suggestion of using spray starch on these before cutting was a good idea, and it also makes me double glad I bought two large refill bottles of Best Prest from Hancocks last week. Since they're closing that location, it was half price - not a bad deal for $6! The blocks went together very quickly and trimmed up nicely too! (I think I've made friends with that companion angle ruler!)
I don't know how many I've done so far, you'll have to count em for yourself :o)
I discovered that if I have strings as small as 3/4" wide, I like using them as an accent strip. After doing a few blocks without thinking about placement, I realized if the teeny strip is about the same color as the one next to it, it loses it's impact so it may as well not be there. Note to self - because the quilt will be washed, make sure there's a decent seam allowance.
And of course, I put my trimmings aside to dive into later - just can't toss em without looking first!
Now, go visit the Orca Bay Mystery Monday Link Up page to see what everybody else is doing!
Sew forth and sew on