Welcome!

Welcome to my blog, we're talking about quilting and other good stuff. I'm glad you stopped by ... look around, add a comment, become a follower if you feel inclined, tell your friends about me, and come back soon!


Thursday, March 10, 2011

Worth doing twice

Hello everybody, I'm glad you're here!  Howdy new followers  *slow majestic wave*

Three things to be happy about:
(1) bars of lemon soap
(2) grocery bags with handles
(3) an ottoman for your feet (or a potty tool if you're vertically challenged  *tee hee*)
just sayin' ...

Gee that felt good!!

Sometimes you have to reach back and grab something to make your smile a bit grander.  A lot of years ago (30-35??) there used to be a group of people at work who called themselves the "P*O*E*T*S club," who'd meet after work on Friday, at a bar in the Holiday Inn.  Anybody was welcome to come along, and if you did you were automatically a member of the club.  I joined them a couple of times and it was fun.  In case you're wondering, P*O*E*T*S stood for "[tinkle] On Everything, Tomorrow's Saturday!"  Ahh, to be young and foolish!

I found some pictures of a throw-sized quilt I made for a client in Atlanta, way back in 2000.  As I was looking at the pictures, I realized that it was such a pretty quilt that I wish I could make it again, exactly as I did the original.  The client's name was Kecia, so I named the quilt "Kecia's Fancy." Here are a couple of shots:
Look at that gorgeous blue panel on the right side - it's all one piece!  I'd love to get my hands on a piece of that fabric again!  I used up every bit of it that I had.  I still have a small piece of the red border on the right and bottom, I also have a little piece of it in yellow.  And see those stars in the middle?  I had just bought Gwen Marston's Liberated Quiltmaking book, and I used her method to make them (three of em don't have a center piece).


Here you see a closer shot of the top, the main part is a paper pieced lady surrounded by little diamond-in-a-square blocks in African fabrics.  The light-colored panel below it is from another piece of fabric that I'm sure I have a small piece left.  Here's a close up of some of the quilting:

I did a bit of meandering, then some not-quite-straight line quilting along the striped portions.  You probably can't see too much of it because I couldn't get the pictures as large as I usually make them. Unfortunately when I took these pictures I wasn't thinking in terms of displaying them on the web or on a blog.  (When did blogs come about, anyway??)

This quilt was a study in my cutting pieces to fit ... I call it "cut along to go along" piecing!  If I remember correctly, I started with the blue panel then made pieces on the left side to match it, height-wise.  Thinking back, this was a very easy quilt to make!

After Kecia got her quilt, she wanted me to make one for her friend, but she stipulated it was not to be as pretty as hers.  It's funny, but I can't remember exactly what her friend's quilt looked like!  I'm sure I took pictures, and if I run across them I'll post them later.

Well, that's it for today, I have to pull more arns out the far.  Sew forth and sew on til later

4 comments:

  1. What a lovely piece. I would love to 'revisit' some of your earlier work - how fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Linda,

    That is a stunning quilt. So many areas for the eyes to delight. Colorful and powerful in symbolism. I like the woman with her arms stretched out in a welcoming gesture. She reminds me of you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous! Lots going on and it all works.

    I know how you feel, "mourning" for that fabric. Sometimes it seems my stash holds two kinds of fabric: "Too Beautiful to Use" and "What Was I Thinking"!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for your comment, I like getting feedback! I can't promise to respond by email, but I do appreciate your visit.