Welcome!

Welcome to my blog, we're talking about quilting and other good stuff. I'm glad you stopped by ... look around, add a comment, become a follower if you feel inclined, tell your friends about me, and come back soon!


Friday, December 1, 2017

Needleart Exhibit at Montpelier


It was such a beautiful day yesterday!  A day meant for enjoying the sunshine and exploring, not for shopping in a crowded mall or sitting indoors, hunched nose-to-the-needle!

I visited Montpelier mansion in Laurel, Maryland, where my guild showed several pieces in their annual  Beyond Needleart exhibit.

Here is a brief history of the mansion:

Located south of Laurel, Maryland, Montpelier Mansion is a five-part, Georgian style plantation house most likely constructed between 1781 and 1785.  It has also been known as the Snowden-Long House or simply Montpelier. Built by Major Thomas Snowden and his wife Anne, the house is now a National Historic Landmark operated as a house museum.  The home and 70 acres remain of what was once a slave plantation of about 9,000 acres.  It was declared a National Historic Landmark in 1970, primarily for its architecture.
I found this door knob and lock very interesting...  It's probably original to the house.

One of the bedrooms...
Can you see the double wedding ring quilt in the baby's cradle?  And look at the little step stool necessary to climb into this huge bed!

Dining room...
There was another room with small tables set for food; it had musical instruments, so maybe it was the music room?

This must have been the childrens' nursery...
I'm guessing at the things I saw because we had not set up a guided tour.

And ... the needleart exhibit.  My guild had 15 pieces on display; here are a few, along with other contributors.








The black and white piece on the right is mine!  Part of my guild's 36x36 challenge.

Sew forth and sew on

3 comments:

  1. It is amazing that you (me) live in area all your life and didn't realize that this place existed. I have to put it on my to do list. Beautiful quilts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It tickles me to see all these lively modern quilts displayed in amongst the antiques!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh, what a great place! I do love that little double wedding ring quilt. And I really like the Faith, Hope, Love & Trust piece. Your b&w is great, but where’s the red????

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for your comment, I like getting feedback! I can't promise to respond by email, but I do appreciate your visit.