Welcome!

Welcome to my blog, we're talking about quilting and other good stuff. I'm glad you stopped by ... look around, add a comment, become a follower if you feel inclined, tell your friends about me, and come back soon!


Saturday, December 2, 2017

Using leftovers


Teacher says, "Every time a bell rings, an angel gets his wings."
ZuZu Bailey, It's a Wonderful Life

Part 2 of the On Ringo Lake mystery found me digging into the box of leftovers from En Provence, I was sure I had something in there I could use.  I found some 2" strips -  the neutral ones went into my Ringo Lake box, the purple and green ones went right into the string bin!  I want to use up all of the already-cut strips before I cut into my yardage.



I'm almost convinced about this: flying geese are not my friends!

I used my beloved Simple Folded Corners ruler with not-so-keen results.  See the little slanted corner on the top one, at the bottom edge...

Then I used the diagonal line method - bad bad bad!  This time the top edge went wonky.



Then I tried the third method Bonnie suggested, using my companion angle and easy angle rulers.

This method worked much better for me, with some slight trimming. 

I believe this is the method I'll use for these geese, although I know I made them before (in Allietare) and they worked.

Oh well.




Meanwhile, my little churn dash quilt is growing by leaps and dashes! 

It's now large enough for a throw, but I want to go bigger. 



Have a great Saturday, sew forth and sew on...

4 comments:

  1. I just love the Churn Dash blocks. Your geese are shaping up there. I am sure you will get it down perfectly for the rest of them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your geese are looking. I will start mine tonight. Headed over to artistic artifacts for their holiday market.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I got a few geese done yesterday. I prefer the Easy+Companion Angles way, too - and it creates the least waste, which pleases my stingy little soul! (I've experimented with the "four-at-once" method, but cutting squares to 'odd' measurements puts me off.)
    Seeing all those wild churn dashes always make me smile!


    ReplyDelete
  4. You could try the method I use. I did a video.
    Flying Geese

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for your comment, I like getting feedback! I can't promise to respond by email, but I do appreciate your visit.