Welcome!

Welcome to my blog, we're talking about quilting and other good stuff. I'm glad you stopped by ... look around, add a comment, become a follower if you feel inclined, tell your friends about me, and come back soon!


Monday, December 4, 2017

Winging from the bottom

Ralphie: "I want an Official Red Ryder Carbine-Action Two-Hundred-Shot Range Model Air Rifle!"
Santa Claus: "You'll shoot your eye out, kid."
-- The Christmas Story

Flying geese!?  I've made 30 of em so far, don't they make nice beach houses?

Although sometimes I felt like my geese were walking, strolling, waddling along!

I wanted to say "hey, hurry up, we gotta fly!"  But nope, somehow they're giving me a bit of trouble this time.


As for making a nearly perfect goose, I realized my weak area was that sharp point that goes through the needle at the end of the seam.  So, I did a no-no!  I tried sewing with the wing on the bottom, rather than on the top, feeding the pointy end through first.  And it worked much better.

When I line up the wing with the nose, I place the iron on it for a few seconds, to help them stick together.


This is my unit before trimming - as I said, nearly perfect!

That extra step of "fusing" the pieces with the iron before sewing will add extra time, but so what.  As Bonnie has said over and over, it's not a race!

So, okay geese ... if you want to waddle and stroll, I won't fuss!


I will be linking up with the On Ringo Lake linky over at Quiltville.

Sew forth and sew on

6 comments:

  1. Using a stiletto to hold that sharp point in line as it passes under the needle at the end will help also. I find that putting the sharp end through first can cause the fabric to jam in the needle hole.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with you! I've found that my machine is less likely to try to eat the pointy end than the blunt end, so I start with the point, too. The feed dogs seem to be happier with something to grip right from the start, and it gives me something to hold onto at the end when the seam is trying to veer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your units look awesome! I love the shades of coral you've chosen.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your fabrics! If you lived nearby, I think we could probably swap a few. :) I found your blog through the link up. I'm IslandTimeQuilting.blogspot.com but am using Instagram to link. Nice to meet you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. They do look like beach houses. Good job on pluggiing along with those geese!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for your comment, I like getting feedback! I can't promise to respond by email, but I do appreciate your visit.