Welcome!

Welcome to my blog, we're talking about quilting and other good stuff. I'm glad you stopped by ... look around, add a comment, become a follower if you feel inclined, tell your friends about me, and come back soon!


Monday, December 11, 2017

Fun on The Lake


The Grinch hated Christmas! The whole Christmas season!
Now, please don't ask why. No one quite knows the reason.
It could be his head wasn't screwed on just right.
It could be, perhaps, that his shoes were too tight.
But I think that the most likely reason of all
May have been that his heart was two sizes too small
-- Dr. Seuss, How the Grinch Stole Christmas

I thought I had the answer, I could swear I had it nailed!  The Simple Folded Corners ruler was definitely the answer to making perfect units for On Ringo Lake, Part 3.

And it would have been if not for a matter of 1/8" that just kept disappearing from the width of the unit.

Back to the drawing board...

Long story short, I went to the cut-the-square and draw-the-line method.  This method always left me with wonky seams because, I swanee, I just can't sew right next to that drawn line!  I wobble back and forth - next to the line, back on the line.


Then I had a bright idea:  instead of drawing the  diagonal line corner to corner and sewing next to it ... why not draw the line just a scant away from the corner, and sew directly on the line!??






Then I sewed with the "fat" part of the square (the part that will fold up) to the left of the needle and it worked, accurate units every time.

Mind you, I'm not rewriting the instructions - just saying what worked for me!

Something else to add to my ah-hah file.




Twenty-six diamond in a rectangle units nicely finished, 13 of each!  We'll get there.


I've linked up with On Ringo Lake mystery Monday over at Quiltville.

Have a great Monday, sew forth and sew on...

8 comments:

  1. They look perfect and are so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice that you have figured out an easy and accurate way of making these units. I forgot about the Easy Angle and Companion Angle rulers I have, and cut out a bunch of rectangles and squares, so I am doing the stitch and flip method. Can you imagine marking the line on that many squares?

    ReplyDelete
  3. These look great! I love your fabric variety.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love seeing how we all approach our blocks differently! So many great ideas to try as we find what works best for each of us. Your idea of drawing the line where you actually want to sew is inspired!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good job figuring out a method that works for you. I’m liking all your Grinch lines....I’m right there too, bah, humbug.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great variety of colors/shades.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well done, finding a method that works for you! Your units are looking good.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for your comment, I like getting feedback! I can't promise to respond by email, but I do appreciate your visit.