Welcome!

Welcome to my blog, we're talking about quilting and other good stuff. I'm glad you stopped by ... look around, add a comment, become a follower if you feel inclined, tell your friends about me, and come back soon!


Friday, October 20, 2017

Those little side trips

Three things to be happy about:
(1) flavored water
(2) a morning walk
(3) trying a new pattern

As I've been going through my fabric inventory I keep wanting to organize (once again!) my strip bins.  The worst, most tangled one is my 1-1/2" strips, how do they keep getting tangled??

Meanwhile I ran across an old McCall's (December 2006) with a pattern that appealed to me, double nine patches in a square-in-a-square setting.  Each little nine patch has dark fabric in the corner and middle positions.

The instructions say *gasp*
"...from assorted prints cut a total of 1,250 squares 1-1/2" x 1-1/2" ... stitch 9 assorted 1-1/2" squares together to make a nine patch"  
Say whaaaaat?



Well, I have a better idea!

This is where those tangled 1-1/2" strips come in.

Sew much ugly fabric in that strip bin!

I stitched light and dark strips into pairs...





Strip pairs became light/dark/light and dark/light/dark trios.

Then I cross cut the trios into 1-1/2" threesies...




Sewing those threesies together to make the nine patches will eliminate a lot of piecing time.

And, it will use up just a few of the tangled strips in my 1-1/2" strip bin!

Sew much easier, yes?


Well, today's the day I've been waiting for since last October - the annual Milltown Quilters shopping trip to Lancaster, PA!  Since the weather is supposed to be nice with no rain in the forecast,  I know our good time will be even better!

That's it for now, sew forth and sew on til later

2 comments:

  1. Happy shopping! I hope you find lots of good fabric - you need to replace all those 1.5" strips you've used up! 8)
    (Can't wait to see your nine-patch quilt!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love hearing about this scrappy project. I have ugly fabrics too so it is a challenge to place them. I also bought my 'quilting' gloves at the hardware store and that is a great tip about using the barbell. I have 5 pound weights that would work great I think. Keep us posted!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for your comment, I like getting feedback! I can't promise to respond by email, but I do appreciate your visit.