Welcome!

Welcome to my blog, we're talking about quilting and other good stuff. I'm glad you stopped by ... look around, add a comment, become a follower if you feel inclined, tell your friends about me, and come back soon!


Monday, October 23, 2017

Lancaster shopping trip

Three things to be happy about:
(1) baked pork chops
(2) gingerbread men people
(3) pumpkin butter

(I think somebody's a little hungry!)

Friday I went on the annual bus trip to Lancaster, PA - you couldn't have asked for a better day!  The weather was mild, even early morning and late evening.

Last year I got a pint of pumpkin butter from the Kitchen Kettle Village and it was really delicious!  This year I brought home two pints, LOL.

I also got an "oops" bag of broken gingerbread people.  If they're broken it's half the calories, right??

My goal this year was to get lots of white-and-black, to beef up the variety in the churn dash blocks I'm working on.  I usually load up on neutrals because no matter what other colors Bonnie Hunter uses in her mystery quilt, neutrals will play a definite role.  But I have plenty already, so I didn't let myself get tempted in that direction.

But there was plenty of the white-and-black to tempt me!  I limited the amounts to 1/4 yard pieces, unless they had a 1/2 yard minimum as Burkholder's did.

I like words, so I had to get some of those, plus a newsprint piece.  That winter themed piece at the upper right was so pretty I that I broke my self-imposed rule and got a whole yard!


I got a fat quarter of mustaches ... the print is sorta big and I wasn't sure how well it would work with the 6" churn dash blocks.  Same goes for the ampersands in the top picture.

For the most part the prints were either small or teeny, always a good choice!


I made blocks from two of the iffy pieces to see if they play well ...

I think I'll save the mustaches and the ampersands for another project, they sort of overpower the block.  Since I pieced them I'll use em though.

And did you notice I had to sneak in a coupla red pieces?  They were so pretty I "had" to get some!


And so another trip goes down in history, leaving me with deep satisfaction with the fabrics I got, and fond memories of all the ones I left behind!  Sew forth and sew on til later...

4 comments:

  1. Looks like an excellent haul! And so much willpower in sticking to your goal!
    I love those little churn dashes - so much personality!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Seems like a lot of folks I know were in Lancaster for fabrics. Love all the w/b picks and your wonky churns are so cute.

    ReplyDelete
  3. mmm, love pumpkin butter -- just can't find it anywhere here in "the middle of nowhere". LOVE! that winter themed b&w. I think I need to find some of that for myself.
    What a great selection of b&w's you have there. I agree with you about those two tho, they do overpower the block.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yummy treats and yummy fabrics. Interesting to see so much variety in the black and whites. I have very little of it on hand and I love churn dash, as I've mentioned before.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for your comment, I like getting feedback! I can't promise to respond by email, but I do appreciate your visit.