Welcome!

Welcome to my blog, we're talking about quilting and other good stuff. I'm glad you stopped by ... look around, add a comment, become a follower if you feel inclined, tell your friends about me, and come back soon!


Monday, November 28, 2011

I got the blues...

... sky blue! royal blue! teal, aqua, turquoise, sapphire!  Stripes, dots, stars, words, swirls, doo-dads... and they're all gorgeous together! 


I finished Part 2 of Bonnie Hunter's Orca Bay mystery yesterday, yes I did!  I used the Yellow Pages for my foundation and it was fun making these blocks because after I cut my squares, I didn't have to think or measure... just sew sew sew!  In no time at all I had a slew of blocks pieced, just waiting to be trimmed down!

I woke up early Saturday morning, around 4:30, but I wasn't sleepy so I got up to sew a few blocks.  I was thinking to myself that at that very time  there was probably another quilter sitting at her machine working on the Orca Bay mystery, piecing 3-1/2" blue squares, the same as me!  Maybe she was sleepless in Alexandria, Virginia... maybe sewing in Australia where it would have been 8:30 that night.... or maybe having that second cup of coffee while she sewed at 9:30 a.m. in the UK.  It was an awesome thought! 

Sewing these blocks was like eating peanuts, you didn't want to stop with just one or two.  I made 30 in my first batch and Bonnie was right - the amount of scraps does not go down!

 

I was having so much fun I finished all the 72 I needed, plus a few extra! 
Isn't that a nice looking stack?  I just have to remove the paper from the backs and I'm all set - the ones I don't use for the mystery will go into my parts department to be used later.  I don't know at what point we'll need these blocks, so I'll sit down and de-paper them before the next step is posted on Friday!

And oh yes, my 2-1/2" black-and-neutral blocks are all done too...
...all 224 of em, plus a few extra!

Be sure to visit the Orca Bay Mystery Monday Link Up page to see what everybody else is doing!


Moving right along... the first 3 pictures look a bit blue-ish, don't they?  I've been fooling around with the white balance setting on my camera trying to make the pictures clearer.  Fluorescent, incandescent, daylight... who knows what, anyway?  I only know "auto" looks funny.

Sew forth and sew on

14 comments:

  1. You are doing a fabulous job. All your blocks look fantastic. All the blues look fabulous. String blocks are a lot of fun aren't they?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Way to go! No, those strings don't go down. But fun blocks to make.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those little strings are just so darn cute!! And yes I was really surprised that making 72 of something did not look like it made a dent in anything. How do those little strings do that :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, you're right. Sleepless in Kansas. But I didn't get mine done like you did. Your blocks are great.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have been very busy.Your blocks are beautiful.Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your blocks look fantastic. I often have trouble sleeping and I just get up and start working on something in my sewing room. I love your "parts department"!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your blocks look great! Good job in getting all that sewing done.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your blocks all look great! The blue strings were sure a lot faster than the QST! And it is true - my stash doesn't appear a bit smaller! ~Jeanne

    ReplyDelete
  9. Linda, you are doing a fine job with your blocks. I have yet to make the first cut. I guess I will get busy soon. They are really looking good. Penny

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow! Those blocks look great! I haven't jumped into the mystery quilt yet but I have been printing out the instructions and watching a few others too.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a nice thought. I think that is why mysteries have an extra layer of fun. It isn't just you sitting all alone and sewing a block, it is lots of people all over the world joining in to the experience. I just love your attitude. (the blocks are great too:))

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wonderful blocks. I love the black white and blue.

    ReplyDelete
  13. You are definity ready to go when the next step comes out!!! Your blocks look fantastic!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Another one who is keeping up with Bonnie! Your work and your blog are lovely. See you next Monday...from Karen who is stitching in Australia

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for your comment, I like getting feedback! I can't promise to respond by email, but I do appreciate your visit.