Welcome!

Welcome to my blog, we're talking about quilting and other good stuff. I'm glad you stopped by ... look around, add a comment, become a follower if you feel inclined, tell your friends about me, and come back soon!


Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Trees, glorious trees

I wanted to create tree blocks to go with the houses I got in the Wonky House Swap in March even though I wasn't involved in that part of the swap.  In keeping with the guidelines for the tree swap I decided to stick with the 5x8 finished size, using my paper pieced crooked geese.


The good thing about using these crooked geese for tree tops is that you don't have to think, just sew blocks together!  To make it even easier and minimize seams at the end, I taped the geese together at their flat bottoms before I paper pieced them.  The tree trunks were all made by sewing background fabric to either side of the brown trunks, easy peasy!  What will I do different on the next ones?  I'll use narrower size geese for the tops; as you can see from the one immediately above on the left, there's not much background fabric on that one side.  (I'll redo that one.) 

The first three blocks were made with 4" geese; the last one was 2".  So, my next batch will be made from 3" geese.

Here's one I appliqued onto the background:

It's a cute tree but I'm not sure if I'll make more of those or not, we'll see.

After I made a few I decided to see what they looked like with the wonky houses, so I pulled out my box that's clearly marked "Houses"...

 

But when I opened it up... yikes, where are my houses???

I'll have to go on a hunt in my sewing room... I know they're in there someplace, I just have to find them!  Which might mean actually cleaning it up again.  Oh well...

Have a great Tuesday, sew forth and sew on

4 comments:

  1. Oh, Limda, you seem to have the same problem as me, with losing things in your sewing room!!! It must be a quilting disease, LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the trees and do hope you find those houses!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I bet the trees will look A-dorable with those houses. how fun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am not a big fan of wonky but those trees will go well with the houses. Next week I head out to the good ol'USofA (D.C. on the 24th)woo hoo!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for your comment, I like getting feedback! I can't promise to respond by email, but I do appreciate your visit.