Welcome!

Welcome to my blog, we're talking about quilting and other good stuff. I'm glad you stopped by ... look around, add a comment, become a follower if you feel inclined, tell your friends about me, and come back soon!


Sunday, January 8, 2012

Nipping away at Orca Bay

Three things to be happy about:
(1) crunchy peanut butter on raisin bread
(2) plants in a greenhouse
(3) finding two seats together at a crowded movie

The trick, I b'lieve, is to get there before they turn out the lights!

I'm making slow progress on my Orca Bay mystery quilt, while I keep reminding myself "Bonnie said it's not a race... it's not a race..." 

I got three rows pieced, and they look great!

They're not sewn together yet but I like what I'm seeing so far.  I kept getting mixed up with the direction of the blues until I realized the stripes in the blue string blocks follow the uphill/downhill slant of the red string blocks.  After that, it was a piece o' cake!  I like that secondary red block around the black block, it's so pretty.  Looking at a picture of Bonnie's finished quilt is one thing, but when you see your own up close and personal - and you realize you did it?  Man, what a feeling!

I haven't pieced the bits for the border, because after seeing the finished quilt (as gorgeous as it is!) I think I might like to try a different border treatment - we'll see!


I finally got the hanging sleeve sewn on my red and white challenge quilt while I was getting my car serviced... why is it so difficult for me to do that last little thing?  I get the main part done, then agonize over the binding... not because the binding is difficult, but because it's my least favorite part of the quilt!  Go figure.  Then, when I FINALLY get the binding on, I fool around and it takes me awhile to get the sleeve and label on.  What's up with that??  Anyway, it's done - and done is good

So that's my story and I'm sticking with it - sew forth and sew on til later; have a great Sunday.

5 comments:

  1. I haven't seen a finished Orca Bay but yours is coming together delightfdully! I admire your work, thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. your orca quilt looks GREAT! I had to put mine on the shelf, not liking my colors and the strip pieces (red) are too big, having to pin A LOT...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the way your Orca Bay is coming together. Seeing all the finished quilts coming together is motivating me to keep going on mine. I'm sure if this was just a random quilt out of a book I would have given up long ago.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's really starting to look great! Love it!!! I can't wait until I get my sewing room back. Then I can sew again... I'm missing my machines!

    ReplyDelete
  5. If I know I'm going to NEED a hanging sleeve, I sew the top edge inside the binding with that line of machine stitching. Then I only have to sew the lower edge of the sleeve by hand.

    If the size of the borders makes it possible, I make the sleeve just a little wider than one of the borders, and then stitch-in-the-ditch from the front by machine to catch the lower edge of the sleeve. If that works, NO hand stitching!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for your comment, I like getting feedback! I can't promise to respond by email, but I do appreciate your visit.