Welcome!

Welcome to my blog, we're talking about quilting and other good stuff. I'm glad you stopped by ... look around, add a comment, become a follower if you feel inclined, tell your friends about me, and come back soon!


Thursday, January 19, 2012

Just a little bit finished

I had fun doing Marcia's Scrappy Quilt Challenge! You still have time to make a small item to enter, it only takes a few hours and she's leaving the linky up until January 23 (scroll to the bottom of the page).   Her prize?  She's drawing for a free quilting of your piece!  Doing my little challenge quilt was really fun, I'll definitely use this pattern again! 

Yesterday I showed my fabrics and how I did the rounds, using Marcia's great denim block pattern tutorial.  I finished all my blocks and put them on the design wall to see what they looked like "on"...

I know the point of this pattern is not to have things too matchy-matchy, but I wanted to sew these together in rows, so each had to be the same height.  So I trimmed 1/2" off the middle block in the first row


then I sewed the rows together and flipped it vertically...

it was accidental, but who knows what, anyway?

Border decisions...

The border on the left would have given me a purple quilt... I didn't want that.  Now the one on the right is from the focus fabric but it makes the piece look a little "blah" to me!


this brown is a bit too dark, I think...


nah!

It's funny, but I had placed this one on the wall to see two sides at once; my first impression was that it looked a bit "Gee's Bend"

but...

it's not so bad!  It won't win any prizes, but I think it's a cute little top and I used some fabric that was just sitting in a storage tub.  I wish I could say I used "all" of any one piece but I didn't - this was made from yardage rather than scraps.  Also, I didn't over-think the layout, I just went with the first way I laid it.  

This quilt finished at 22 x 23-3/4, a nice size for a table or hallway, because my base pieces ranged from 2x2 to 3x4."  I can see how fast and easy it would be to make a larger quilt using bigger starting pieces. 

Sew forth and sew on

6 comments:

  1. Now that you mention it, it does look a bit like Gees Bend. I like your final border choice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your borders! Really sets it off very nicely! I like that you used yardage rather than scraps as I have had others email and ask if that was OK - YES! Some have used fat quarters. I love your scrappy quilt! It is so cool to see all of them coming together. After you cut the strips and centers it goes together fast! Thanks for posting and linking up! Good luck in the Giveaway!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it is a cute little top too. The borders are perfect for it.

    the word verification is 'alancene'... Sounds like dad's name was Alan and mom's name was Francine.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's so cute! Al and 'Cene met and fell in love!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like that you used two fabrics for the borders. Makes it look "more gooder".

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, it is a 'G' quilt - love the finish and good for you in diving into the waters with us. I love it!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for your comment, I like getting feedback! I can't promise to respond by email, but I do appreciate your visit.