Welcome!

Welcome to my blog, we're talking about quilting and other good stuff. I'm glad you stopped by ... look around, add a comment, become a follower if you feel inclined, tell your friends about me, and come back soon!


Friday, October 7, 2011

In one door and out the other

Yesterday was a gorgeous day, and I took advantage of it to drop off  two bags of clothing - gotta clear some of that stuff out!

I'll have to say this is the first time I've seen it looking so neat at the drop off area!  A truck must have pulled out just before I got there.


They have a pretty decent thrift store, although I've never shopped there before...


the parking lot was really crowded yesterday... sale!

You had to have a VIP card (which I didn't have!) to take advantage of the sale, but I wanted to look at the shirts, see what all the "fuss" is about.

I picked out 6 shirts at $1.99 each.  My cashier was nice enough to borrow a VIP card from the next cashier over, which reduced my price nicely.  I don't know if that's a good price for shirts I'm going to cut up, but I paid just over $10.  I'll have to learn the secret!

I cut pieces from three of the shirts to make these crumb along blocks...
I like the color combination but they look like gosh-darned orphans!

I cut my middle block way larger than I should have for the star, but it'll ride.  The block on the right... cutting smaller base blocks would have resulted in a more desirable finished size.  It measures just shy of 6" - not large enough to stand alone as is, not small enough to add a border... but what the heck, I might just lop off part of it and add a border anyway.  Or just deal with it when I put the final quilt together.

I only had time to do those two, still getting my fabrics ready for the Quilters Cruise next month.  I saw on Bonnie's blog that there are 56 (!!) quilters going on this cruise, woot woot!!  I don't know what percentage of the total passenger count that is, but I'm sure it's significant, or as my Uncle Bird would say - "sincticant."  We're gonna take over the ship, scraps from one end to the other!!

hmmm.... I wonder how far it would go if we took all our strips and laid them end-to-end around the deck...

Sew forth and sew on til later...

2 comments:

  1. Here is a site that shows how to cut those shirts for optimum yardage (and her 7 shirt quilt pattern)http://thethriftyquilter.blogspot.com/2009/06/seven-shirts-seven-steps-one-thrifty.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. I bought that same orange plaid shirt. I made some of Bonnie Hunter's Cheddar Bow ties with it. Ive been to Value Village in Tri-cities, Kirkland and Vancouver. Last time there was a buy two get one free, so I got a bunch. I'll have to check out the link from Vrooman's comment.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for your comment, I like getting feedback! I can't promise to respond by email, but I do appreciate your visit.