Welcome!

Welcome to my blog, we're talking about quilting and other good stuff. I'm glad you stopped by ... look around, add a comment, become a follower if you feel inclined, tell your friends about me, and come back soon!


Saturday, August 27, 2011

Hunkering down

hunker:
a. to hide, hide out, or take shelter (usually followed by down ):  The escaped convicts hunkered down in a cave in the mountains.
b. to hold resolutely or stubbornly to a policy, opinion, etc., when confronted by ... unfavorable circumstances (usually followed by down ):  Though all ... was against him, he hunkered down ...

Well, I've done all I can do to prepare for Irene, so I'll just hunker down and let er ride.  I already had plenty of bottled water so I didn't have to get any more; my gas tank is just over half full; I have non-perishble foods I can eat for a few days if I have to; my iPod and cell phone batteries are charged up.  So, I'll just hunker down. 

At the same time, I haven't felt much like sewing anything the last few days, what with the earthquake and the Irene-a-thon that's been happening on every television station.  If we do lose power - and I'm praying we don't - I don't have any hand work to do so I'll spend that [daylight] time cutting and organizing my fabrics.

I just talked with my neighbor who works at the convention center as a sound and light technician, and he says the MLK memorial ceremonies are tentatively being rescheduled for September or October.  All the participants' schedules have to be coordinated and reshuffled... he just got home and he looked exhausted!  Since he was having to be at work by 4 a.m. most days because of all the preparations, he's been staying downtown - he plans to sleep through Irene if he can. 

According to the news, compared to yesterday's forecast the winds won't be as strong in this area as predicted, but they'll be bad enough.  I'm cutting down on my computer time, so I'll see ya when I see ya!

(I can't get a preview of this post so I hope it goes up...)

Sew forth and sew on til later...
Linda

4 comments:

  1. Keeping watch, too..Just imagine a big thunderstorm......take care

    ReplyDelete
  2. Will be watching for you return. All fingers crossed here and prayers are with you.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for your comment, I like getting feedback! I can't promise to respond by email, but I do appreciate your visit.