Welcome!

Welcome to my blog, we're talking about quilting and other good stuff. I'm glad you stopped by ... look around, add a comment, become a follower if you feel inclined, tell your friends about me, and come back soon!


Saturday, April 30, 2011

fait accompli - twice!

Three things to be happy about:
(1) high tea at a London hotel
(2) waiting patiently
(3) hors d'oeuvres (we used to call them "horse dervers")

Hi everybody - I know if you saw THE WEDDING, you enjoyed it as much as I did... in fact I feel pretty sure some people in the UK are still celebrating! 

My Singer Touch n Sew (my "baby") started making funny whining noises on Monday and I didn't want to use it without knowing why, so yesterday morning I took it to the Hancock Fabrics in Takoma Park so Jeff could take a look at it.  Jeff has been doing maintenance on my Singer for ... oh, I'd say at least 30 years, probably longer!  Anyway, I picked it up a couple hours later and he said all it needed was cleaning and oiling.  Who knew?

The important part is, (1) my machine is up and running, and (2) now I can finish this super simple applique block I started on Monday ...


and hand it off to be put into a quilt.  The quilt is being made for the manager of the rec center where our Bee meets, as a gesture of appreciation for all he does above and beyond. 

Did you notice the words at the bottom?  They name the adinkra(sp?) symbol and it's meaning.  Here's a closeup:

When I want to put words on something as small as this, I write the words directly on the fabric rather than running it though the printer as I usually do.  Sometimes the printer can scrunch the fabric up or wrinkle it, no matter how careful you are!  Is that my hand writing?  Nope, I typed it out in Word and tried different fonts and sizes.  When I found one I liked I printed it out and traced the words onto the applique block with a permanent marker:
My decision on which font to pick is based on things like the width of the letters, how the words end, and how well the font looks with whatever I'm placing it on.  I did the same thing for Petunia's name in Thursday's post - see it here.

Well that's all for now.  It's a bit overcast right now but I plan on going to the Milltown Quilters quilt show in Columbia, you gotta love quilt shows!  But first, brekky and laundry... enjoy your day.

Sew forth and sew on

1 comment:

  1. Oh, I always use a font and copy as my handwriting is worse than a doctors! Enjoy your quilt show.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for your comment, I like getting feedback! I can't promise to respond by email, but I do appreciate your visit.