Welcome!

Welcome to my blog, we're talking about quilting and other good stuff. I'm glad you stopped by ... look around, add a comment, become a follower if you feel inclined, tell your friends about me, and come back soon!


Friday, November 17, 2017

Little side trips

Three things to be happy about:
(1) raking leaves
(2) passing thru the bakery section at Costco
(3) finding something you lost

Is change good?  We've been switching between Eastern Daylight Time and Eastern Standard Time for more than 40 years (dare I say more than 50??) and this year it took me longer to readjust to EST.  Instead of waking up at 6:30 am, I was waking at 5:30 for awhile - big yahoo.

I had to curtail some of the little side trips I found myself on so I could knuckle down and finish that small challenge quilt that's due at guild meeting next month.  The Quiltville mystery will start next Friday, I don't want anything pulling at the edge of my mind when I'm piecing the first few clues!



The top has been finished and just lying around for a month, I just needed to go ahead and quilt it, put it out of it's misery. 

But not without a bit of drama...

I broke two needles because I allowed some of the seam intersections to bunch up, too lumpy in a couple spots. The second time I was literally one inch of being finished!

The top thread broke three times: once before I remembered to check the tension and twice because I had sort of a jerky motion when I changed directions - doh! 

You're probably wondering "now why doesn't she use a walking foot?"  I dunno.


Drama comes in threes! 

When I trimmed it - straight - I saw that part of one side shrank more than it should have. 

I went back and trimmed off a bit more, and to be honest, it's not noticeable at all!


So here's the top!

I simply outlined the silhouette and the moon, then quilted gently swooping lines across the blue background.

I meandered the black and white hourglass border, that's all it needed.  The binding has been sewn onto the front, I'll hand sew it down on the back in the next couple days.

That's it for now, enjoy your Friday, we've passed the mid-point of the month.  Sew forth and sew on...

1 comment:

  1. Woohoo for a beautiful finish! Happy binding-sewing! (I always love that part)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for your comment, I like getting feedback! I can't promise to respond by email, but I do appreciate your visit.