Welcome!

Welcome to my blog, we're talking about quilting and other good stuff. I'm glad you stopped by ... look around, add a comment, become a follower if you feel inclined, tell your friends about me, and come back soon!


Friday, December 14, 2012

My Festivus list!

Three things to be happy about:
(1) straight teeth
(2) overalls
(3) a foosball match


In a nutshell, the "Festivus" celebration was born on the Jerry Seinfeld show, where George Costanza's father wanted a celebration "for the rest of us."  He'd get a Festivus pole and gather the family around and berate them for their failures during the year.  The poorest performer would have to carry the festivus pole of shame.

Well, I love Christmas and I don't celebrate Festivus, but I thought it would be a fun name for this post.  Throughout the year I started things that for one reason or another I didn't finish; I don't mean UFO's, that's a whole different category!

So, this is my Festivus list, or "things that I dropped like a hot tater."

First up - Inspired by Toefeather, I wanted to make a 4-inch block every day for a year, then I'd have 365 blocks to make into a quilt.  Clever girl!

Seemed easy to do and it really is, but that daily block became a group of weekly blocks, then there were no blocks at all, doh!   After I made 35 blocks I discovered I wasn't sure I liked how they all looked together and I dropped that idea!  I'll make one more then set them in a quilt with sashing in between.

Another one - a slashed 9-patch block using African fabrics. 

Sounded like a good idea and the single blocks looked great... but when I placed several of them together on my design wall - yuck!  Not my idea of an attractive quilt.  If you stared at it too long it'd probably knock you down!

I could take the ones I did and set them with some kind of sashing (w-i-d-e sashing!) I suppose, but I'll not be making any more of these rascals!

Here's a good one - South of Baltimore!  I was using scrap yardage to make the flowers and leaves.

This actually should be considered a UFO because I can finish it by simply making two more blocks and setting them in a gigantic four-patch.  The blocks are 16" square so they'd make a nice wall hanging.  At this point I can't remember why I dropped this one - UFO!

And last but not least - my stash report!  Where did that go? Well, I found it tedious to try and figure out how much fabric I was using every week.  I stopped my wild fabric buying several months ago, I don't even look at the emails from Hancocks of Paducah or Thousands of Bolts or eQuilter (why haven't I dropped off those mailing lists??) and I think I've bought less than two dozen yards this year, so maybe the list did have some effect!  How much fabric did I use this year?  I have no idea but I know I used some, so that's a good thing!  So that's my story and I'm sticking with it!

If you had a quilting Festivus list, what would be on it??  I'd love to hear your hidden secrets!  Have a great Friday - sew forth and sew on til later!

8 comments:

  1. Hey - you are honest, and we do fall out of love with some projects. My only Festivus confession is the tiny house blocks - 365 of them! No Way - and I like to do tiny. I think I have half, but not in love with them so will ship them off to Sarah's group to use in a charity quilt or two.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those 35 blocks will make a great quilt. Don't give up on that project!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I absolutely love those 35 blocks. I think they look great just as they are without sashing.
    I started the Rainbow challenge again this year and kind of feel off when certain colors came up. I said this would be the year I would finally finish my Christmas quilt. Didn't happen, but hey, I still have a few days left. As far as fabric buying goes, right now I'm buying everything I can cause I am really going to try and use my stash in 2013. Either that or give it away! Lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. Not enough space on the internet for my Festivus list... LOL. I like your south of Baltimore blocks. Those are cute!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had a standard sew date with a friend and we planned to make the US of A state blocks. Five a month was the deal. I believe I have the first 5 plus half of one. They're 9 inch blocks with many many small pieces. It was a challenge. I was so into it that I found fabric that had state birds as the theme and brought it to use as my backing, so really, I have no choice but to finish.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh yeah, I forgot to mention I like your 35 of 365 blocks. You should start again. They remind me of a display of flags. I like them !

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ok, for some insane reason, I can not complete the Ocean Waves quilt that I have blogged so much about. I want to finish it, I have just lost some interest. Also, remember the Farmers' Wife blocks? Those wonderful 121 - 6inch blocks. Still have 109 to make. But I think I am going to complete them -- just don't know when.
    I think you should try to finish 365 block as much as possible. I actually like the African 9 patch blocks, but I think I would have used black trim. Take one apart and try it.:0) Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I remember watching each of these. I love the idea of the one with the African fabrics. I think the problem may be with the white white. Maybe if it was darker, or even a cream or gray, it would work really well. I do believe this quilt can be saved.
    One of the things on my Festivus list would be the color challenge blocks on 15 Minutes Play. I made a few random sizes and patterns. I have the list of colors, and think I may try again someday. Another one was a quilt I never got past the gathering of fabric. I loved the idea when I started pulling all the fabric together, but then my zeal cooled. I have several blocks from the wonky house exchange that I will probably never put together, as well as some fish blocks from another exchange. Then again, I may try to put them into something to donate. The wonderful thing about quilt making is that it is so much fun to keep on trying new things.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for your comment, I like getting feedback! I can't promise to respond by email, but I do appreciate your visit.