Welcome!

Welcome to my blog, we're talking about quilting and other good stuff. I'm glad you stopped by ... look around, add a comment, become a follower if you feel inclined, tell your friends about me, and come back soon!


Saturday, June 4, 2011

Quilters Unlimited show

Hello everybody, especially my "peeps" (followers)!  Thanks for coming and commenting... lets me know I'm not talking to myself  ;o)  And thanks too for your continuing well wishes on my retirement, yes!!!  It still hasn't sunk in yet, maybe next week...

I had a great time at the Quilters Unlimited show at the Dulles Expo Center yesterday, but the first challenge was to get in.  When I took this shot the lines had thinned out considerably! 

The weather was just great, and I was actually able to get a parking spot relatively close to the building!


But when I got inside, it was worth the wait.  What can I say about the quilts - there were some awesome pieces on display!

But first, I had my photo taken with Eileen, an "official person" with the show...

I found this one interesting...
It's a "slice" project submitted by Sue Till of Centerville, VA. She and 5 friends each recreated a section of a color print based on Marc Chagall's 1925 painting "Motherhood", without knowing what the overall design looked like. It was then stitched together and quilted.

Here's a "play on words" piece...
"Hungry Enough to Eat a Horse!"  I'm sorry I didn't get the owner's name, it was cut off.

Meanwhile, just before lunch I caught up with Penny and Wendy...

and fellow Uhuru guild member Lynora

After lunch we ran into another Uhuru member, Sandra
She's also a QU member; I think she's enjoying the show!

There was a lot to see and do, not just the vendors and displays.  There were also demonstrations planned out throughout the day.

I'm a house person, so I liked this quilt...
what a unique setting, the houses seem to float from the sky! I'm loving that pieced background.

This one was bought on eBay as a top, and quilted. 
The picture doesn't do it justice, it's a very pretty piece.  There are a variety of fabrics in this one, and the quilting is just beautiful.

And here's one I think of as a bento-box inspired design...
by a member of the Playing Outside the Box Bee, Fairfax Chapter. I like wonky, so this is right up my alley!
Here's a close-up:

I had a great time but it's not over - I have more to share!  Sew forth and sew on til later


3 comments:

  1. Now this is a show I would love to see. Our area is very 'traditional', reproduction type affairs. Modern and expression quilts just aren't seen - unless I throw a few whimsies in a local. Can't wait to see more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just love quilt shows! and they are always more fun when you can share them with friends! Looking forward to more pictures!

    LaDonna

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lots of great quilts. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for your comment, I like getting feedback! I can't promise to respond by email, but I do appreciate your visit.