Welcome!

Welcome to my blog, we're talking about quilting and other good stuff. I'm glad you stopped by ... look around, add a comment, become a follower if you feel inclined, tell your friends about me, and come back soon!


Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Just playing around...

Hi everybody, especially my followers - I'm glad to see you   *big grin*

Here's the pot of coleus I planted on my front porch, I think it's so pretty!
The pot is 16" wide and rather shallow; in the photo on the left you can see the little leafy whatnots (I don't know the name!) that I planted around the side.  It's really grown since I planted it a week ago; so far my neighbor Michelle's cat has left it alone.  I have another pot identical to this one, I'll place it on the steps when I get more plants.

I joined the 15 minutes play group this past weekend, and I think it's an interesting group.  As quilters we're all busy with not as much time as we'd like to be creative, so Victoria's concept for the group is to take just 15 minutes here and there to play with your fabrics and scraps, just to see what happens.  No preconceived notions, no strict rules ... just play for 15 minutes to see where the fabric leads you. 

Here's what happened during my first 15-minute playtime...
I took an old orphan block I didn't like but didn't want to toss out and made two random slashes through it, then I sewed fabric strips in the slashes [what other kind of strips would I have used???] and trimmed the block.  I was so busy playing I forgot to take pictures after I sewed on the first two strips!

Then I cut the block horizontally and added a third strip...
Before I sewed the right half on I flipped it vertically just to see what it would look like.  hmmm...

In my next 15-minute playtime, who knows which way it will go?  I certainly don't!  Sew forth and sew on til later...

6 comments:

  1. I like that. Can you see the gears shifting in my head?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to take a deep breath before cutting into a block like that, even though I know the end result will be amazing. It's just so hard to make that first cut!

    LaDonna

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like you are having fun. I try to do something everyday for an hour. I don't quite make the mark all of the time. Penny

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great 15 minutes block.
    I think that's Vinca in your pot with the beautiful Coleus.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The little leafy whatnots are "Silver Falls." I purchased one plant and later this week went back to the nursery to purchase another. I walked all over the place looking for more. There was this guy with one of the plants in his basket. And you know that was the last plant. I felt like it was the last yardage on a bolt of fabric. But I could not get him to divide the plant. LOL!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The coleus seems to like your choice of pots. I have the same reaction as LaDonna when it comes to chopping up that pretty block.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for your comment, I like getting feedback! I can't promise to respond by email, but I do appreciate your visit.