Welcome!

Welcome to my blog, we're talking about quilting and other good stuff. I'm glad you stopped by ... look around, add a comment, become a follower if you feel inclined, tell your friends about me, and come back soon!


Saturday, June 18, 2011

My Motown wannabe

Remember the block I sliced and diced for my 15 minutes play last week?  I sliced it again for another round of play...

This time I used the pieces for the starting point of a crazy pieced block...

In my opinion, now it just looks ordinary.  Oh well, that's how you play!

As you know, I completed a Motown quilt challenge for my Bee which will be unveiled today at the Michigan Park Rec Center's community day.  Our challenge was to choose a Motown song and make a quilt that portrayed that song.  You might remember that I kept changing my mind about which song I wanted to do; tomorrow I'll show you my entry, plus the viewer's choice, but for now I'd like to show you the one that I did NOT do:

Dancing in the Street by Martha & the Vandellas!  It would have been a nice quilt but for some reason I could NOT decide what to do for the sides of the quilt.  I made the silhouette and fused it to black fabric, then I used needle and thread to draw the brick street they're dancing on - time consuming, but that was the easy part. 

But I was blocked when it came to doing the sides... would there be cars parked there?  would there be shrubbery?  flower carts, a dog , an orchestra? a store front?  I think if I had made the street wider I'd have had more options because it has to narrow as it goes up; that perspective thing, you know. 

I put too much work into this one to just toss it aside, so I intend to figure this out.  But since my time was running out and I had to do SOMETHING, I switched to another song. 

Tomorrow I'll show you the one I did; sew forth and sew on...

3 comments:

  1. Great work. I can't wait to see it when you finish it! I remember the song well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is amazing Linda. The brick work looks so real. I also can't wait to see if finished. Here are some ideas...street lamp, fire hydrant, steps going up to brownstone, dog sniffing fire hydrant [may take focus off dancers]... fence, musicians playing a few instruments. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Call me crazy but I like it just as it is. Add bindng and call it done. Debbra

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for your comment, I like getting feedback! I can't promise to respond by email, but I do appreciate your visit.