Welcome!

Welcome to my blog, we're talking about quilting and other good stuff. I'm glad you stopped by ... look around, add a comment, become a follower if you feel inclined, tell your friends about me, and come back soon!


Tuesday, September 11, 2012

While they were sleeping

Three things to be happy about:
(1) the first day of school, woot woot!
(2) early morning grocery shopping
(3) cinnamon-raisin bagels

Hi everybody, thanks so much for visiting and commenting!  Yesterday my sister and brother-in-law (or should I speak blog-ese and say "BIL") arrived safely and soundly! My sister is a big Pogo Scrabble fan, and she wanted to play after dinner; my BIL is a big TV fan and he wanted to play with the remote. So I figured, Shoot! Why can't I play with my fabrics???

While I was de-cluttering and busting the bunnies a few days ago I found some time to cut some fabrics for another cobblestone quilt, so while they were doing their thing I sneaked upstairs and sewed a few.  When we had the cobblestone workshop at the WeeBee in July, Charlene used black and white for hers and it was so pretty I thought I'd go with black and white for this one...
There's something so classic about black and white!

On the previous two quilts I made, the blocks all finished at six inches.  Six inches is a great size, but I want to make a larger quilt, so I'm going with larger blocks - bust that stash! 

Now here's where this one is different:  to add interest to the quilt, I decided to use blocks in 3 different sizes:  6 x 6, 12 x 12, and 6 x 12.


Also, I'm putting in just a teensy bit of red, just to liven things up!


I wish I had more of that red above; it's an Alexander Henry fabric I think. 

Basically the quilt will be based on a 12 x 12" block configuration, except some of the 12 inches will be made up with 6 x 6 and/or 6 x 12 inch blocks!  Clever, eh???

So, while Shell and Curt were still sleeping this morning I got up and made a couple blocks, itchy fingers and all.  In no particular order, here's what I've done so far:

I'll worry about the layout after I've done a lot more!


Well, today we go out after brekky to visit museums and the MLK monument.  Have a great day everybody... sew forth and sew on til later!


6 comments:

  1. Love the boxy blocks in the different sizes - with a touch of red.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to tell you how much I love your Blog. I would join you at your Senior Center if I lived closer. I want to try you Cobblestone pattern - may use when I am a Queen Bee in one of my Bees. The black and white (+ red) quilt will be stunning. Now on to my "3 things". You keep me positive and smiling!

    ReplyDelete
  3. yay for doing your thing. Its gonna look great! Have a great family visit!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love it, Linda. Think I'm going to steal your idea! Thanks for giving the brain something to ponder.....

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love those fabrics you chose and the variety of blocks. What fun!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You know I am such a fan of B&W, I wish I had taken the class with you on this, put since we are so close, you will show me again, maybe at the next meeting.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for your comment, I like getting feedback! I can't promise to respond by email, but I do appreciate your visit.