Welcome!

Welcome to my blog, we're talking about quilting and other good stuff. I'm glad you stopped by ... look around, add a comment, become a follower if you feel inclined, tell your friends about me, and come back soon!


Sunday, September 9, 2012

A fine day for a fair!

... until the storms came and we were told to seek immediate cover... then it was a fair day!

Yesterday I went on a bus trip to the York (PA) county fair with my friend Felicia, the Slow Quilter.  What's the best way to start out a bus trip?  Why, you get that photo op - Felicia and I "opted"  each other with self-portraits!  What is it you call someone who writes your autobiograpy for you?  A ghost writer?  On the bus we ghost-auto-photographed each other!


Felicia kept saying "I just have to get one of those polish sausages, a funnel cake, and play "I Got It!", and I'll be satisfied! 

Those funnel cakes are super-delish!  I tried one with peanut butter; even after it got cold it was yummy!  I ate about half of it, and brought the rest home and had it with coffee.

No fair would be complete without the giant pumpkins and the decorated pumpkins and the little pumpkins that you wonder why they're there, but you see the tag that says "second grade" and you sorta know it's to encourage the little guys.
The judges must have had a really hard time, some of these were gorgeous as well as creative.  But I really liked this gourd painted like a duck...

As we were inside waiting out the storms, we got a chance to watch Felicia play with some shoestring licorice, LOL.
Never a dull moment around this lady!

In the handcrafts building there was an interesting demo of wool spinning and weaving...


Nostalgia, anyone?

Anybody remember these detergents - Surf, Rinso, Oxydol, Ivory Flakes, Duz??


We saw the camel and the zebra but we missed the pig races and the circus ...  and we didn't EVEN want to see the giant rat!  Living in the District, why would you PAY to see a rat???  A giant one, even.  Just hie thee away to Dupont Circle and wait a few minutes...

But I came home with this prize - a Helping Handle tool that I won at "I Got It!"

The Helping Handle is sold as a bathtub handle, but as many of you know this handy-dandy tool can be used as a handle on your rulers!  And it only cost me one ticket, which I won at some point while playing 8 games of "I Got It!" (at 50 cents a game).  Basically "I Got It!" is a bingo-like game where you toss little rubber balls into a 15-slot box as the caller calls numbers; first one to get 5 balls in a row wins.  Not a bad deal, I reckon.

I also bought some delicious Honeycrisp apples at the Brown's Farm booth.
I tell you, these apples are so good it makes you want to roll your eyes!  (But I resisted though ...didn't wanna scare anybody!)  Really, they have a slightly-sweet/slightly-tart taste that is indescribably delicious!   I've had a lot of different apples but I don't think I've ever had Honeycrisp apples before.  If you run across them, get some!

We had a great time and of course, as with all great times, we were tired afterwards ... I took a wee nap on the bus coming back home.  All in all, it was a fine day for a fair!


My sister comes tomorrow, so I'll be doing the tourist thing for a few days... sew forth and sew on til later!

6 comments:

  1. Sounds like a wonderful time - yes, I remember those soaps.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha ha...most of us "old timers" remember most of those soaps. Mom always used Tide, but I loved looking at all the other packages.

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG, I do remember those soaps, my Mom used several of them. I still remember her getting towels in some of them as an added perk to purchasing their brands. Ah, fair season, how I love to go to the many fall fairs and festivals. Looks like you had a wonderful time!!.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Honeycrisps are the boom-diggity.I love fairs! It's when we get to be a kid again. And there's nothing better than funnel cakes. What is it about fried dough that gets us going?

    Thanks for taking us along!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yep, I remember those soaps and used to use SURF when I first got married....and Hey! I'm not that old!! (am I?) Love fairs, love fried dough....ummmmmmm
    Hope you manage to wrangle up all those errant dust bunnies. Have a great time with Sister & her hubs.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It was so cool reading your blog about the York Fair. I live in York. I haven't been to the fair in years though. They used to give the kids a day off school to attend. I don't know if they do that anymore or not. Congrats on winning a prize-that really makes the visit fun.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for your comment, I like getting feedback! I can't promise to respond by email, but I do appreciate your visit.