Welcome!

Welcome to my blog, we're talking about quilting and other good stuff. I'm glad you stopped by ... look around, add a comment, become a follower if you feel inclined, tell your friends about me, and come back soon!


Thursday, January 25, 2018

Happy Birthday to Me!


Today I turn another year older and another day wiser - I think wisdom probably comes a bit slower than age does! 


Aren't birthdays wonderful opportunities for looking back, as well as looking forward?  

The other day I was looking through some envelopes and folders on a shelf and came across two very old photos.  

This one was taken when I was somewhere in my 20's, not sure exactly when though.  Check out that bush hair-do!



This one was taken on my 30th birthday. 

I remember it was Superbowl Sunday and Tessie, my best friend at the time, invited me over for dinner.  She made me a cake and I was touched because it was the first time EVER that I'd had a birthday cake!

I had a cousin (Delt McKenzie) who played for the Philadelphia Eagles.  And even though they made it to the Superbowl that year, I had no interest at all in the game - never have, probably never will!

But best of all I have the precious Birthday Dollar to look at and remember all the good times I had with my two sisters who passed away since we started exchanging it.  You can read about the full history of the Birthday Dollar on this post.

We had a little scare this time though:  Michelle mailed it from the Post Office on Wednesday, January 17 - I should have received it no later than Friday the 19th but I didn't!  It finally came on the 23rd, we don't know what held it up but we were both crossing our fingers!  When I send it on to Shell next month, I'm sending it registered mail - this birthday tradition is way too precious to stop now.  The Birthday Dollar can never be replaced.

Have a great Thursday, find something to celebrate today, sew forth and sew on ...

8 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday Linda! Have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birthday!!
    And I love the story of the birthday dollar.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy birthday, Linda! The birthday dollar is a wonderful tradition.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Have a great birthday. I love the dollar story. I don't know where the dollar came from, but if it had to go through CA, our mail was delayed because of the closure of the freeway from the mudslide,

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy birthday Linda!!! That is the afro of my dreams and you wear it well!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy Birthday. Right you are about wisdom. I am sorry that it moves at a slower pace than my years.

    Rondi

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, I love that "bush" do! I don't know how the US postal service works but I got a card from my sister that had been shredded by some sorting machine. The birthday dollar is far to precious a tradition to be subjected to that kind of treatment. Happy Birthday .

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy Belated Birthday. I hope you enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for your comment, I like getting feedback! I can't promise to respond by email, but I do appreciate your visit.