Yesterday I rough-pieced several string blocks to use for the center of my String Thing Along star. I decided to do a diamond-in-the-square setting, just to be different and scrappy.
Here's the first setting I tried:
for some reason when I laid it out I thought it looked a bit busy, and I rejected it as an option. But now that I look at it again, it looks okay. Nice and bright, the way I intended!
But after rejecting the one above, I decided to go with just one color for the points, to match the borders of the diamond string section:
That's really dull and boring, isn't it? All you can see is that center, it looks like a big blue splat!
After laying it out with those colors, I decided my problem was that the fabric was all solid... so I tried a third layout and color combination:
This one uses the same fabric for all the star points... Hmm...
I went ahead and pieced this one and trimmed it, but "now that I look at it"... I believe it's that blue center part that's throwing everything off! I don't like the third setting as much as I thought I would, so I'll probably go back to the first layout I did. That center surrounding the diamond might need a fix, though; also, I'm thinking of making the points a bit smaller. Back to the drawing board!
Sew forth and sew on