Welcome!

Welcome to my blog, we're talking about quilting and other good stuff. I'm glad you stopped by ... look around, add a comment, become a follower if you feel inclined, tell your friends about me, and come back soon!


Saturday, March 30, 2013

Half-square triangles on the GO

Three things to be happy about:
(1) curiosity
(2) favorable reviews
(3) switching to iced coffee

Yesterday I wanted a break from the crumb piecing, I felt like cutting something!  When I was looking for a book I ran across Spectacular Scraps,  by Judy Hooworth and Margaret Rolfe.  I bought this book back in 2000 because even then I was attracted to scrap quilts.  It has a lot of pretty quilts made with half-square triangles, so it was just what I needed!  Years and years ago before I was as into quilting as I am today, I bought Barbara Johannah's Crystal Piecing.  This book has an interesting concept about half-square triangles; Barbara created 256 combinations that can be joined with each other to create unique block settings!  Sometimes I play around with two numbers  - say 25 and 201 - and see what the combinations look like in a quilt.  I got some pretty interesting settings, I recreated all 256 combinations in EQ some time ago to make them easy to play with.  I said all that to say:  some of the HST combinations in the Spectacular Scraps book remind me of the Crystal Piecing method.

Many of the projects in the book are two-color quilts and they're all so pretty I couldn't decide what colors to go with!  When I was talking with my sister I said to her "hey Shell, give me two colors!"  She chose yellow and pink, so I went digging through the scraps I ironed a couple weeks ago and found a few red and yellow pieces.  Now they're all a-tumble ... oh well.

I'm choosing all shades in the color families from burgundy to gold to reddish-purple, pale yellow - anything and everything goes!  Right now I'm just in the cutting stage, I'll make a decision about the setting later on.

Using my 3-1/2" die I cut  a few sets, looking good!


Here's a heads-up when layering... although they say you can layer up to six pieces, if you use a lot of small pieces be aware of the "bump" where they overlap.  You may end up trying to cut 8-10 layers at that point - ask me how I know!

That's it for now, have a great Saturday, sew forth and sew on...

3 comments:

  1. These will be striking - like a stunning sun-set!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What fun. I went to check on both books. I was sad to see that neither is available on Kindle. I am trying to not have so much "stuff" lying around. Maybe I will check and see if the local library has either of these.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have Barabara Johanna's original book that had the 256 combinations in it and played with it my own combinations back in 1989 with my charm quilts. I just love the concept. I made a couple quilts from the "Spectacular Scraps" book too and I'm sure the inspiration might have come from Barbara's book. I know you will have a lot of fun with this. There will be a lot of interest in your quilt with all of the different shades of your color families. It does take a long time to cut the variety so I'll wait patiently to see your quilt in progress, lol!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for your comment, I like getting feedback! I can't promise to respond by email, but I do appreciate your visit.