Welcome!

Welcome to my blog, we're talking about quilting and other good stuff. I'm glad you stopped by ... look around, add a comment, become a follower if you feel inclined, tell your friends about me, and come back soon!


Monday, February 12, 2018

Testing, testing...

My guild's challenge for the Fredericksburg, VA, SewExpo this year to make a 36 x 36 quilt, using half-square triangles.  It's due at the September meeting, so I may as well get started on it, eh?

About two years ago my friend Pat made a basket quilt from a pattern in an old Fons and Porter magazine that I thought was just gorgeous, including the red, yellow and black-and-white colors scheme.  I don't have access to the pattern and I don't think Pat remembers which magazine it was in, but I took a photo of her quilt and I've been able to figure out the measurements for a 6-inch block.

Sometimes it's fun to redraft a quilt block by looking at a picture, you can move the lines around if you don't like the original pattern, and do all kinds of stuff! 

This one wasn't hard to redraft; I knew I didn't want to make a triangle at the bottom of the basket, so I converted that area to HST's and a rectangle unit.




My rulers - the Deb Tucker Trimmer I for the HST's, and my Simple Folded Corners ruler for the rectangle unit. 

Easy peasy!

The finished test block looks great, I think it'll be a winner for the 36 x 36 HST challenge!

I have a lot of different red and yellow fabrics, I'll stick with just one per block.

I can always do a straight set with 25 blocks, but I'd really like to set these pretty baskets on point.  I haven't figured out how many I need without having a humongous border, though.

Have a great Monday, we're moving towards the middle of this very short month.  Sew forth and sew on.

2 comments:

  1. Oh, what a gorgeous little basket! You're right about setting them on point - that will show them off to best advantage. Happy mathing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pretty, pretty. I’ve always been a sucker for that color combination. This WILL indeed be a striking quilt.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for your comment, I like getting feedback! I can't promise to respond by email, but I do appreciate your visit.