Welcome!

Welcome to my blog, we're talking about quilting and other good stuff. I'm glad you stopped by ... look around, add a comment, become a follower if you feel inclined, tell your friends about me, and come back soon!


Wednesday, February 28, 2018

Downsizing

Time to back up and redo the math for my baskets! 


I laid out the 9 basket blocks I already made, but for some reason I don't like how the spacing looks. 

I get the feeling I'll have a weird shaped quilt if I make it 36 x 36, on point.  And I'd really like to  set this one on point!

I recalculated the cutting needed for a 4" block ... 1-1/2" HST units, yikes!



I made a test block and it looks nice made up though. 

What a difference in the size from the 6" blocks I was making!


My question to myself was, can I go the distance with this size block?  Those little 1-1/2" HST are a nuisance to sew together and keep a straight seam!

I'll make enough to set on point and see if I want to go ahead.  Otherwise I might go with my original plan of using a straight set for the 6" blocks.

Either way, this quilt will be done well before the September deadline!

Sew forth and sew on ...

2 comments:

  1. What about making the blocks with triangle paper? It might make handling them a little easier.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The triangle paper is a really good suggestion. Or, you can use a pencil and draw the equivalent of the triangle paper on the back of the background fabric. (That's the technique I used back in the day when I was doing miniatures. I pieced six scrappy Tree of Life blocks with itsy-bitsy triangles that way.)
    Whatever you do will be beautiful! I love these baskets!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for your comment, I like getting feedback! I can't promise to respond by email, but I do appreciate your visit.