Welcome!

Welcome to my blog, we're talking about quilting and other good stuff. I'm glad you stopped by ... look around, add a comment, become a follower if you feel inclined, tell your friends about me, and come back soon!


Tuesday, July 28, 2015

New Orleans

Three things to be happy about
(1) trolley tours
(2) a new pair of tweezers
(3) people watching

More pictures to share from my trip to New Orleans last month.

For the most part we made our own way around the city, the only tour we took was a horse and buggy tour of the French Quarter.

Our guide gave us a 30 minute tour and she shared a lot of the city's history, legends and naughty secrets.

It was very interesting!

I can't tell you half of what she said, but one thing that stood out for me was this beautiful fence at the Cornstalk Fence Hotel.

According to legend, in the late 1850's Colonel Robert Henry Short of Kentucky had a problem - his wife was homesick for Iowa. In order to mitigate the problem, Colonel Short had a fence shaped like a row of cornstalks made for his villa in the Garden District.  

Isn't that a beautiful fence?  Evidently parts of it were moved from the villa to different locations around the city.

Interesting sights along our tour route...


at one point we stopped at a pub and someone came out to take our drink orders.

so many balconies - you gotta love the architecture!



And afterwards of course, we had to have beignets and cafe au lait at the Cafe du Monde!  

These were fresh out the cooker, still steaming hot and piled high with powdered sugar - delicious!

There's also a Cafe du Monde at the Willard Hotel here in DC, but well ... you know.






Trip to the French Market - you haven't done it all til you've had fresh alligator jerky!  

(I haven't done it all)

We had a great time in Nawlins, but next time it should be during cooler weather - did I mention the humidity almost had me walking on all fours??

**********
I finished the ID quilt top, I'll post a picture and show it off after it gets quilted.  It turned out really pretty, I think.

That's it for now, sew forth and sew on til later!

1 comment:

  1. Did you get to visit Mes Amis or the Quilted Owl? They are wonderful places for quilters and piecers.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for your comment, I like getting feedback! I can't promise to respond by email, but I do appreciate your visit.