Welcome!

Welcome to my blog, we're talking about quilting and other good stuff. I'm glad you stopped by ... look around, add a comment, become a follower if you feel inclined, tell your friends about me, and come back soon!


Monday, December 2, 2013

Thankful - and thankful!

Three things to be happy about:
(1) a child's fascination with small things
(2) car naps
(3) having all the ingredients


Yesterday I got to have Thanksgiving all over again!  My friend Sandy invited me to have a second Thanksgiving dinner with her hubby, daughter and grand kids, and a family friend - thankful!!

It's not nice to say someone else's mac n cheese tastes better than your own mom's, but in this case Sandy wins hands down!  It was delicious.



Did we kill the bird??  Yes we did!

After it was depleted and we were all repleted and groaning, her friend and quilting companion Dale wrassled out that elusive wish bone, to be wished upon later.


Now for more thankful stuff...

Glad to report that after fah-ting around a couple days, I'm making progress on the mid-string border...

I pieced the units together as leader-enders while I was sewing the rows of the top together...

Then there was a question that stumped me but shouldn't have ... which color to use as the inner border to put a break between the center and string border?  It couldn't be a busy-busy fabric because of all the texture created by the pieced string blocks, nor did I want to go with a solid.  Somehow blue or green didn't give me the look I wanted, I didn't want to use yellow (too pale) or red...

So, just in the interest of getting on with it, I went with a white on black fabric...


How to lay out the border?  No matter how I turned them I didn't like the look of string blocks directly next to each other on different sides of the quilt, it just looked too jumbled!  So I'm trying the inner border all the way across the top and bottom...




One side looks okay so far, eh?  

It's not too late to change my mind, I haven't stitched the side down just yet.

Onward and upward!



That's it for now, sew forth and sew on til later...

6 comments:

  1. I like the border treatment - once you have all the sides you will see.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is just great Linda it is coming along. I think I have that inner board fabric, just used it on my six pack back and coin purse.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the way your inner border is setting off the center and letting the outer border 'speak for itself'. You know, of course, that I would have used RED....but that's just a personal problem.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad you had a great day. I did too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the way the inner border set of the other blocks. Stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy to hear you had a great Thanksgiving or two.
    I'm lovin' everything about that quilt. Can't wait to see it finished!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for your comment, I like getting feedback! I can't promise to respond by email, but I do appreciate your visit.