Welcome!

Welcome to my blog, we're talking about quilting and other good stuff. I'm glad you stopped by ... look around, add a comment, become a follower if you feel inclined, tell your friends about me, and come back soon!


Monday, August 6, 2012

a good series

Three things to be happy about:
(1) dragonflies
(2) a field of sunflowers
(3) the house you grew up in


I've just finished listening to Vegas Heat by Fern Michaels, and I highly recommend it!  I love those dynasty/generational books where you meet the main character when she's dirt poor, then follow her as she gets stinking rich and becomes the matriarch of a family.  The heroin of this book is named Sallie Coleman, who leaves her dirt-poor home in Texas for Las Vegas at age 13, then at age 17 inherits multi-mega bucks  from an old miner who took her under his wing.  This book is the first of Fern Michaels' "Vegas" trilogy; the other two are Vegas Heat and Vegas Sunrise.  I understand they're a crossover of her "Texas" series, which I haven't read, but I think I will.

I chose border fabrics for my latest cobblestone quilt, sticking with the Christmas theme fabrics.
Can you tell I like red??

I decided to go with a narrow inner border because I didn't want to run into the issue I had with the batik one, where one of the blocks bled into the border...

The fabric I chose for the inner border was sort of a dark off-white, not quite crossing over into beige. 

It looks okay put together, although I "could" have made the inner border a teensy bit narrower.  I cut it at 2", but looking at it now, 1-1/2" would have been better so that it would finish at 1".  In any case, I just have to quilt it and it'll be ready to fly for Christmas!

I'm using this fabric for the backing:
It's designed by Karen Jarrar for Marcus Brothers, and it's been in my stash a long time - quite honestly I don't remember when I bought it!  I also have another piece with a sort of mint green background, same deal.

I like this pattern well enough that I think I"ll make a series of these quilts.  They're quick and unbelieveably easy to put together!  My next one will either be a bed sized one, or a throw size.

Well that's all for now, have a great Monday - sew forth and sew on til later!

3 comments:

  1. OH, so pretty and just love the backing - yeah, progress, isn't it great! This is a very versatile pattern, love it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love a good page-turning romance... great way to escape...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your wall hanging...thinking I need to make a couple of these. I can see one for each of the seasons..hmmmm
    mdmontalvo@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for your comment, I like getting feedback! I can't promise to respond by email, but I do appreciate your visit.