Welcome!

Welcome to my blog, we're talking about quilting and other good stuff. I'm glad you stopped by ... look around, add a comment, become a follower if you feel inclined, tell your friends about me, and come back soon!


Thursday, October 29, 2015

A(nother) little detour

Three things to be happy about:
(1) costume parties
(2) paying it forward
(3) fried apple pies

Looks like my x and plus blocks have been x-d out - again!

It all started as I was tidying up some containers, seeing what could be added to another container... or cut up into usable pieces.

I found this small 12 x 12 container of black and white strips that were left over from something I made some time ago; why did I put them to one side?

I'll either use these now, or put them into my 2-1/2" strip bin!


And look at my bin of black and white fabrics that I've been collecting, I need to use some of these up!

I searched Quilter's Cache for two blocks that could be used together, and was inspired by a 9" block named "Passamaquoddy Trail" that I thought would look great in black-and-white, neutrals, with one more color (Marei, can you guess what that color is??).





The block has a 9 patch unit and ... something else...

whatever...

I biggie-sized it to a 12" block, so I can make them faster!


I made 9" long rectangles of black-and-white strings and strips for the middle part of the block...

I pieced the strips together side-by-side, then sewed the wings on by using a template drawn onto phone book pages.







My first challenge was sizing that middle strip, so that the edge aligns with that black square on the 9 patch block...



Close, but no cigar; I think it passes the 50 foot test!




So this is what I've done so far, laid out in no particular order.

The 9-patch and alternate units are sewn into pairs, but not into the full 12" blocks yet.




If I hadn't sewn the unit pairs together I'd try a different layout...

...but it's not worth unsewing and fiddling with - I just want to use some of my black and white fabrics!


That's it for now, enjoy this last Thursday in the month - where did October go!!?

Sew forth and sew on til later

4 comments:

  1. A very nice two block design and you get to cull down a strip bin --- sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it so I wouldn't change a thing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. HA! I read today's post before this one and I said I'd be in heaven if there was red AND THERE IS!!! You know I'm going to love this one Linda!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks great. i like how the two blocks work together

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for your comment, I like getting feedback! I can't promise to respond by email, but I do appreciate your visit.