Welcome!

Welcome to my blog, we're talking about quilting and other good stuff. I'm glad you stopped by ... look around, add a comment, become a follower if you feel inclined, tell your friends about me, and come back soon!


Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Another "bear" day!

The Phantom slowly, gravely, silently approached..
It was shrouded in a deep black garment, which concealed its head, its face, its form, and left nothing of it visible save one outstretched hand. 
"I am in the presence of the Ghost of Christmas Yet To Come?" said Scrooge.
"You are about to show me shadows of the things that have not happened, but will happen in the time before us," Scrooge pursued. "Is that so, Spirit?"
The upper portion of the garment was contracted for an instant in its folds, as if the Spirit had inclined its head. That was the only answer he received.
"Lead on," said Scrooge. "Lead on. The night is waning fast, and it is precious time to me, I know. Lead on, Spirit." A Christmas Carol, Charles Dickens
*  *  *  *  *  *  *  *
As I've said before, sometimes you get the bear, sometimes the bear gets you... he got me yesterday!  We were extremely busy at the office and almost short staffed because of all the use-or-lose leave people are taking now.  The team member that I work with, works at home on Tuesdays and it's usually seamless - in other words it's just as if he's physically at the office - but I swanee sometimes I think he falls asleep at home!  Else why doesn't he respond to emails or answer his phone, eh??  So much for that bear.


I was poking around on my junk design wall yesterday and saw this block I made a few months ago.  When I made it, my first thought was to make it the size you see here, but on second thought maybe I'll use it as the focal point for a larger hanging.  I fused some batiks to create a stained glass window slightly above and behind her, then again I don't know if I'll incorporate stained glass into the finished piece.  Still thinking about that one.

My guild is planning a quilt show for 2011, so there's a distinct advantage in making this block into a larger wall hanging...more mileage I guess.

This block is appliqued as you can see; I like the process because - at least the way I do it - it's more forgiving than following someone else's pattern.  Don't get me wrong, there are some beautiful patterns available and they have their strong points, but sometimes I have to find my own way through a piece.  The picture that inspired me was a full view of a young lady with her hair in a ponytail, in slacks, kneeling at a table.  I cut her off at the waist, moved her hands into a prayer position, and transformed the slacks into a dress or jacket (I'll let you decide!). I used a head dress instead of hair.

I think it'll turn out okay!

Linda

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for your comment, I like getting feedback! I can't promise to respond by email, but I do appreciate your visit.